Re: Broken mail readers (was Re: Properly wiping a hard drive ?)

  On 10/09/2010 08:11 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>    On 10/9/10 7:38 PM, JD wrote:

>>> Mike:
>>>
>>> Should we start another thread talking about broken mail readers?
>>>
>>> I am one of the GUILTY parties and I explained that the problem in my
>>> case is a hosed-up mail reader provided by Earthlink.  BTW, this is NOT
>>> the first mailing list to complain about this problem with my mail reader.
>>>
>>> Guess it is time to 'ping' Earthlink again.
>>>
>>> James McKenzie
>>>
>> Hi James,
>> Does earthlink allow you to use your own mail client
>> like thunderbird, or some other gui client?
> It does, but I cannot connect my work mail system to Earthlink and
> sometimes I see something that I feel needs to be responded to right away.
>
>> I know yahoo does not allow that on free accounts;
>> i.e. they do not provide pop or imap server for your
>> free account.
>> But google does. So, why not get a free google account
>> and use thunderbird for reading and sending email?
> I have been considering getting a GMail account for some time now.  Does
> their web client provide for proper threading of messages?

They have message filters and message labels.
I have never used them, because only time I use
the web interface is when on the road and I end
up using someone else's computer to read email.
Also, once you set up a google account, and use
thunderbird to send and receive email, then you
will be able to move your earthlink folders under
the auspices of thunderbird if they are normail
forlders (which are just flat files containing email
messages). Someone on this list might be a
better expert at importing email and contacts
from other mail readers.
>> Spare yourself the stress of fighting a battle with earthlink.
> I've had an Earthlink account for a LONG time and don't want to mess
> with moving stuff to it.  However, if it fixes the problems and does not
> become a spam magnet (you should see the jump in spam over the last few
> weeks) then I may consider moving some of my mail to them.  I'll have to
> check if my employer is blocking them as well.
>
> James McKenzie

Good luck!
JD