Re: rsync or dd to clone a hard drive?

On 10/06/2010 10:58 AM, Maxime Alarie wrote:
> I have never used dd to clone a hard disk.
>

> I use rsync for a lot of   my backups , and I was wondering what would
> be the best tool to clone a  disk.  I don’t want 3^rd party software
> also.  I want built in command  line tools.

I use tar to migrate date from 1 drive to another.  It can copy
permissions and owners. For a short period, it did not copy context, but
now it can.  It will copy directory structures intact and copies links
and symlinks as is (by default).

tar --xattrs --selinux --one-file-system -cf - /dir | (cd /new/path; tar
-xf -)

should do the job as root user.  You can even add the -S option to
handle sparse file efficiently.

> I know rsync will resync where it left off if I encounter a problem,
> what about dd?  Do I  absolutely have to creat an image before cloning?
> Ex: dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.img   or I can use dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb?

tar can be told to not overwrite old files (-k), but you probably *want*
to overwrite the incomplete file where it previously died.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx