Re: Fedora 12, 13 /KDE freezing Desktop

On 10/03/2010 07:42 PM, stan wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:08:28 -0400
> Jim<binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>

>> I have 4 different Fedora boxes at different locations with KDE
>> Desktops Freezing Applications or clicking on mouse for intervals of
>> 10-15 seconds at a time. Nothing shows up in System Monitor to
>> indicate why.
>>
>> Anyone have these problems ?
> I run Gnome, but I used to see similar behavior in the GUI, though the
> delays were somewhat less, more like 5 to 10 seconds.  I started
> running top, and then iotop, and found that it was always updatedb or
> one of those background jobs.  The trouble was they weren't background
> because they were run by root, and they hogged resources.
>
> I set flags in the cron job that told it to only run when there was
> nothing else requiring the resource and that fixed it.  Perhaps you
> have the same issue?
>
> These are the relevant lines from the mlocate.cron job
> in /etc/cron.daily.  I can't remember what was originally there, that
> was a long time ago.  There are man pages for both renice and ionice.
>
> renice +19 -p $$>/dev/null 2>&1
> ionice -c3 -p $$>/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Do this for all io and cpu hogs that don't need high priority.

By default: mlocate.cron

#!/bin/sh
nodevs=$(< /proc/filesystems awk '$1 == "nodev" { print $2 }')
renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
ionice -c2 -n7 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/bin/updatedb -f "$nodevs"

So, it is already set to low priority, both for scheduling (with renice)
and for ionice (n 7 is lowest io priority).
All -c3 does is  run only when cpu is idle.