Re: what could "use up" X forwarding connections?

Tom Horsley wrote:
> Anyone have any clues about what could "use up" some resource
> used to create a forwarded X connection (ssh -X)?
>
> I've got these testbeds that run 24/7 on random collections
> of both real and virtual machines, and they are all started
> from inside a VNC session using ssh -X to get to the target
> test machine. The theory is that any test which needs a X
> server will be happy with the VNC server.
>
> After running for a few months, tests sometime start failing
> because they can't open the X server. Reboot the host (which
> is running fedora 13) and recreate the VNC server and things
> work again.
>
> Seems like something is getting "used up" that the reboot
> cleans up, but I haven't been able to find out what
> that something is :-).

I saw something similar on fedora 13 some time ago.

Connections failing because the pseudo-file (Unix socket)
  /tmp/.X11-unix
had been deleted for some reason.

In my case it was apparently a tmpwatch script cleaning
away something more than what it should have.

I never understood if the problem was with stuff from
Fedora 13 (atime, ctime, mtime flags to tmpwatch, effects of
relatime...) or from other vendors, as this machine has
additional proprietary software installed (including cronjobs).

It has been working for a few weeks now; maybe an update fixed it.
Not sure.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it