Re: Weird Network Manager Problem

On Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:33:05 am Mike Dwiggins did opine:

>   On 9/25/2010 6:02 AM, g wrote:
> > On 09/25/2010 06:50 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> >>    This all started with a power out crash thanks to my Electrical
> >>
> >> Company.
> >
> > you trust you electrical supplier and it their fault that you
> > do not use an ups?
> >
> > do you have a full backup that you can use to wipe drive, run a
> > full drive test, then restore your system?
> >
> > you can use rpm to run a check on all you have installed, but it
> > will not test configurations.
> >
> >> This one is weird!
> >
> > not really. your drive got trashed.
>
> Well g, if I could afford a UPS that had a longer run time than two
> hours I would have it!.

Frankly, expecting a UPS to carry for 2 hours is an unreal expectation.

I did have one that could do that at one time, an old 200+ pound NCR
branded thing I had installed a quartet of 14AH wet L-A batteries in,
making arrangements to handle the overflow tubes by directing then into a
pint jar half full of soda.  It worked well but floated the wet batteries at
too high a voltage and ran them dry at 6 month intervals, so that was about
$120 2x a year to keep it running, even after I found the float setting and
turned it down 2 volts to 52 volts.  So for several years and quite a few
battery packs, I have used a pair of 1500wa rated UPS's that I can get
batteries for at a lot less at 2 to 3 year intervals.  With the load here,
I have about 5 minutes to do a graceful shutdown else it drops the line in
less than 10.  The modern ext3 file system tolerates that well and I have
not had to fsck a drive at other than the scheduled intervals in many years
now unless the drive itself was on its way out.

If you want a 2 hour holdup time, be aware that it tends to cost real money
both at purchase time and at maintenance time.  It is not going to be $350
in pocket change, but more likely in the 10 grand range for commercial rack
mounted stuff.

> I have checked fairly well and everything works as should be from
> localhost and I can find no other problem other than the IP
> configuration problem.
>
> I am leaning towards a hack or a corruption of Network Manager.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Where am I?  Who am I?  Am I?  I