Re: Weird Network Manager Problem

Mike Dwiggins <mike <at> azdwiggins.com> writes:

>   This all started with a power out crash thanks to my Electrical
> Company.  After power came back up I could not access the server via the
> network.
>
> When I first got to the console I could not log in as root nor could if
> do an "su" as my user log in.  Using Webmin via localhost I found the
> password hosed but I was able to reset the password via Webmin and after
> a reboot I could log in as root.

You do not get your root passwd hosed just because your machine went down or
some unrelated software package malfunctions ...
You have to consider that you have been hacked, I guess. Normally you should
take your machine offline until you understand what is the damage.

> I then found I could not ping my static IP from inside or outside.
> Using the GUI at System/Administration/Network and checking the
> Interface settings they were correct.  If I hit the DNS tab or the Hosts
> tab I found bogus information.

Well, where do you get that info from ?
Are you auto-configured by dhclient ?
System/Administration/Network/Devices - interface - Edit
General
Controlled by NetworkManager ?
Automatically obtain IP address settings with DHCP ?
Automatically obtain DNS info from provider ?

Also, check:
$ ps aux |grep -i dhc
jb        6982  0.0  0.0   4360   708 pts/3    S+   15:21   0:00 grep -i dhc
root     14415  0.0  0.0   2984   676 ?        S    06:13   0:00 /sbin/dhclient
-d -4 -sf /usr/libexec/nm-dhcp-client.action -pf /var/run/dhclient-eth0.pid -lf
/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03-eth0.lease -cf
/var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf eth0

That's response on my system.

Look at what kind of info you got last time:
# less /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient-5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03-eth0.lease

Look at your own config settings:
# less /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth0.conf
That's perhaps from:
# # ls -al /etc/dhclient-*
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 40 Feb 21  2010 /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 40 Feb 21  2010 /etc/dhclient-wlan0.conf

> I changed it back to the correct info
> and did a save followed by a Stop/Start on the interface and gave
> control back to Network Manager.
>
> After a reboot the bogus info had returned!

As above...
If you are, then on reboot you were auto-configured again (and overwritten).

>  I could only ping from the
> inside the bogus IP address and of course could not ping it from the
> outside! So I manually went to /etc/hosts and corrected the bogus info
> that had a note "Added by Network Manager".

As above...
If you are, it will be overwritten by NetworkManager via dhclient.

> I also check /etc/resolv.conf and corrected the bogus DNS info.

As above...
If you are, it will be overwritten by NetworkManager via dhclient.

> I checked /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0  and the info
> there was correct.
>
> Reboot and all the bogus info is back, all with the "Added by Network
> Manager" caveat!

As above ...

> Beat the bushes as well as I can I can find no info as to where Network
> Manage conf files might be named and or located!

$ man NetworkManager

$ man NetworkManager.conf
             ifcfg-rh
                     plugin is used on the Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
                     distributions  to  read  and write configuration from the
                     standard  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*   files.
$ cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
[main]
plugins=ifcfg-rh
$ ls -al /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

> Anyone have any idea where they are or am I just going to have to kill
> Network Manager?
>
> This one is weird!

Tell us how your system is configured.

JB