Re: Removing evolution rpms

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 00:49:12 -0700, JD wrote:

>   I would like to remove evolution rpms, but
> I am surprised to see that packages that were
> there before I had installed evolution packages,
> are now dependent on evolution packages, and yum
> would remove them.
> Packages like:
> gdm
> gnome-session-xsession
> desktop-effects
> gnome-session
> gnome-panel ...etc
>
> Is this a sane thing for yum to do
> or are the deps really screwed up?

What kind of answer do you hope for? Yum already told you what
RPM package dependencies it has found. If you don't believe the output,
you can query your local RPM database (or use repoquery or Yum to
query even remote repositories) to examine the dependencies.

evolution-data-server contains libraries, and something in control-center
is linked with those libs. In turn, control-center is a dependency of
other packages, and hence an entire chain of packages would need to be
removed if you wanted to remove the libs package.

Whether any of the explicit dependencies in the packages may be dubious
remains to be examined. Fedora Packaging Guidelines ask for explicit
"Requires" to be commented on in the package spec file. If you can't afford
to keep an evolution library package, you may need to spend some time on
verifying dependencies.