Re: Root File System Maxed Out

On Tue, 9/21/10, earlscott3@xxxxxxxxxxx <earlscott3@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am a new user to Fedora.
>
> I ran the latest updates and pulled 404 updates. One of the updates
> stated it needs more room on the root file system in order to download
> it.
>
> The root file system is maxed otu at 3.3gb in size. How do I get free
> space without messing up my Fedora? I made an initial 40gb partition
> and still have 34gb to use. Does Fedora consider each file folder a
> different partition?

Not necessarily, but sometimes what appears to be a folder on one partition is really a partition on another drive.  For example, I have a 2 drive set up:  The first drive is the / partition containing all the system directories (folders) including /home; but /home is not a true directory (folder) but the "mount point" for a partition on the second drive which is the actual "home".  In this case, the /home folder is a partition.  It isn't always.

To help with your problem, need to know how your drive is configured for Linux.  Post the output of the following three commands.

df -h
cat /proc/partitions
cat /etc/fstab

You might be able to use something like gparted to resize your partitions to get more space on your / partition.

Also, please only post plain ascii test here.  Thanks.