Re: Celestia Space Simulator

 On 09/21/2010 03:39 PM, Michael Miles wrote:
> JD wrote:

>>> I am not sure.
>>>
>>> Here's where it came from
>>> celestia.x86_64                       1.5.1-2.fc12
>>> @fedora
>>>

>>> Like I said it installed then ran no problem then just stopped.
>>> When I run it from command line I get
>>>

>>> [amiga5@localhost ~]$ celestia
>>> Initializing ARB vertex programs . . .
>>> All ARB vertex programs loaded successfully.
>>> Initializing NV fragment programs . . .
>>> All NV fragment programs loaded successfully.
>>> render path: 8
>>> Floating point exception (core dumped)
>>>

>>> This is a Fedora repo sim
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>

>> OK. I installed it from fedora instead of sourceforge
>> and it runs - but it is taking 99.9% of cpu.
>> I am unable to do anything.
>> What a monster this app is :)
>>
>> top - 11:43:40 up  1:57,  1 users,  load average: 2.46, 1.76, 1.37
>> Tasks: 176 total,   2 running, 174 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
>> Cpu(s): 96.1%us,  3.9%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,
>> 0.0%st
>> Mem:   2062408k total,  1991168k used,    71240k free,   260496k buffers
>> Swap:  8385924k total,     2904k used,  8383020k free,  1030732k cached
>>
>>     PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
>> 30805 jd        20   0  325m  65m  13m R 99.9  3.3   2:48.03 celestia
>>

> Wow, talk a hungry little dude.
> I have had some success running it in root but same thing but this time
> I get a abrt warning
>
> process usr/bin/celestia killed by signal 8 (SIGFPE)
>
> I have disabled selinux and the firewall just to see if that had any
> effect. (NIL)
>
> This ran perfect the first and ever since the first crash it will not run.
> I get the splash screen and then blank screen
>

> Too bad because it is a very nice application for kids to explore the
> universe. Very useful for educational purposes
>
> Michael
Seems ok for me.

Using Fedora 13,  running on a Core-Duo, 2GB Fast RAM, 1333
FSB, Celestia runs about 35% on my system. I can see the CPU
load on Gkrellm monitor, with "top" option installed with percentage
option enabled.

Maybe mileage varies according to the performance of your
Mobo, FSB, CPU speed, Ram speed, ...?

Celestia has not crashed on my system.

I also run Stellarium (15-25% CPU Load)