Re: ctrl-alt-+ doesn't work for me

On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 10:37 -0500, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 01:46 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> > I want to be able to use ctrl-alt-+ or ctrl-alt-- to cycle between X
> > modes (resolutions etc).  This should allow me to fix the display from
> > the keyboard of the afflicted machine by blindly typing ctrl-alt-+ twice
> > (with this display there are only two modelines synthesized by X).
> >
> > ctrl-alt-+ does not work for me on F13.  I don't know when it
> > disappeared.  Perhaps when ctrl-alt-backspace was retired.
>
> I believe that the ability to change video resolution from the X server
> went away when graphic mode setting was moved into the kernel.  Yes, I
> miss that too (running F-12).
>
> --
> Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
>                  Do NOT delete it.

Many of these key sequences do work if you know how to se set them. For
example ctrl-alt-backspace works as follows:
1.  Open the Keyboard Preferences dialog either by choosing  System >
Preferences > Keyboard from the Fedora Main Menu or by running the
following command from a terminal:

gnome-keyboard-properties

2.  In the Keyboard Preferences dialog, choose the Layouts tab (labeled
1 in the screenshot below) and press the Layout Options button (labeled
2 in the screenshot below) to bring up the Keyboard Layout Options
dialog.
Screenshot-Keyboard Preferences

Keyboard Preferences dialog

3.  In the Keyboard Layout Options dialog, unfold the tree item “Key
sequence to kill the X server” (labeled 3 in the screenshot below), and
mark the checkbox “Control + Alt + Backspace” (labeled 4 in the
screenshot below)
Screenshot-Keyboard Layout Options

Keyboard Layout Options dialog