Re: Radeon ATI HD3650 or Nvidia 8600M GT

On 09/19/2010 03:49 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
>    On 9/18/10 8:43 AM, Alessandro Boggiano wrote:
>> I have to buy a second hand laptop and I have to choose between two
>> Dell laptops!
>> They are  almost the same the only big difference is the video card:
>> one has Nvidia 8600M GT 512MB and the other has a Radeon
>> ATI HD3650 256 MB.
>> My goal is soft video editing and normal use (web, office...) and of
>> course all the 3D functions of kde! ;)
>>
> Get the laptop with the nVidia card.  Their drivers are much better than
> AMDs (Catalyst 10.7 broke a bunch of things.)
>
> James McKenzie

I would agree with one caveat, Nvidia had a bad overheating problem with
certain models of laptop video chips. So bad it would melt the chip
connections. I'd investigate this carefully before I bought any of the
older Nvidia based laptops (like the 8600M). The problem has been fixed
in the latest generation of chips.

Regards,

John