Re: serial8250: too much work for irq 19

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I installed F13 on my Dad's computer last night and ran into this
issue. The install itself went perfectly. I'm not sure what's
different between what services get run during install and regular
startup, but I can boot to the recovery option of the install DVD and
chroot to the system drive no problem.

When I boot normally everything starts fine and then somewhere around
the avahi daemon starting the system slows to a CRAWL, the abrt daemon
fails to start but otherwise continues.

Checking dmesg I see the following repeated probably 1000 times:

serial8250: too much work for irq 19

I've googled this and the fact that my Dad's hardware is current (Acer
dual core Pentium D) I don't think it actually has a 8250 UART. It
could be a serial port that's not being detected correctly or an
internal modem. I'll have to get him to check if he actually has
one...

Anyone have any experience troubleshooting things like this?

If the UART is integrated into the motherboard disable it in the BIOS or reassign the IRQ. If the UART is a add-on check to see if you can change the IRQ via moving or adding a jumpoer.

Thanks,
Richard