Re: New install

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:05 PM, JB <jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think Fedora excludes too many users and their machines for no good reason.
> Perhaps Fedora could change arch to i586 and have a bigger base of users and
> testers as a result ? Starting with Fedora 14 ?
>
> Sometimes I think Fedora is getting ahead of itself, as if there were no
> yesterday and no tomorrow ...

On the other hand, "Linux will run on really old hardware" is a bit
overplayed, because, for most users, "really old hardware" == "really
expensive hardware to run."

The thinking behind the use (or non-use) of an instruction like cmov
can be really arcane, and whether it is a goo way to go or not has
changed with branch predictor sophistication and how the instruction
itself is implemented.

If there were to be a vote, I'd vote for Fedora to keep up with the
latest and greatest and not to be hobbled by legacy issues.   Those
who want to make things run on old hardware just because it's there
should be on a par with those who like to keep old cars running: if
you don't like to fuss with it, you've chosen the wrong hobby.

Robert.

--
"Such a man cannot be a spy.  He polishes his shoes."--Sam Neill
portraying Sidney Reilly in "Reilly, Ace of Spies."