Re: Multiple monitors, two video cards with different chipsets

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:50:49 -0500, Ron Siven wrote:

> No reply means "no", I'm guessing?
>
> I don't think it's it a stupid question.  Is it?  My windows 7 instance
> handles them both just fine.  The ATI is onboard video, while the nVidia
> is in the PCIe slot.
>
> I've searched exhaustively, and can't seem to find what I need.  I know
> that for a long time it was just not the thing to do, but I've been away
> from my Linux for a while (just too busy).  Had some time lately, so I
> thought I'd check out F13.  Can anyone point me to the right place, or
> is it still not an option?
>
> -- Ron

It looks like you'll have to create a custom /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

It's not difficult, but since I don't have two cards here (or two
monitors), I can't experiment.

Some fun ones to get you started with can be found here:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-hardware-18/various-xorg-
conf-examples-for-using-multiple-cards-multiple-monitors-751939/

It looks like if you can uniquely identify the hardware (the examples
used BusID), then you can stuff in two cards and two monitors. Use lspci
to get the BusID of the cards (I think).

See man 5 xorg.conf for the gory details.

. . . hope this helps.

/mde/