Re: adobe flash 0-day

On 09/15/2010 10:30 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III<bruno@xxxxxxxx>  writes:
>> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 09:25:25 -0700,
>>    "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"<wolfgang.rupprecht@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> If flash is now very unsafe, is there a working alternative yet?  Is
>> Adobe's flash player has been unsafe for a very long time and I don't expect
>> that to change anytime soon.
> Yea.  This latest f-up finally drove the point home for me.  It was time
> to bite the bullet and do an "rm $(locate libflashplayer.so)" and not
> look back.
>
>> There are a few open source flash players available. They seem to be buggy
>> and don't support the latest version of flash very well. Also for Fedora,
>> h264 is patented and prevents support of that codec (commonly used in
>> flash) in the distro. Though people in some areas of the world can use
>> the codec support from RPMFusion.
> I do recall using mplayer to play youtube *.flv videos at one point but
> it was a real pain in the neck to dig the obfusciated video url out of
> the javascript in order to download the *.flv file.

You can install the add-on to Firefox: "video downloadhelper"
from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006/

This add-on will let you save the flv file, and if you configure it,
it will even provide the option to convert it to some other format,
like avi, or mpeg4, or mp3, ow wmv...etc.

For a while, xine-plugin could be installed and then the browser
configured to use xine-plugin to play flash videos.
But I have not been able to make it successfully spawn the
external xine player.