Re: VirtualBox & Multiprocessors

On 09/14/2010 11:00 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 15:55 +0200, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to buy a server to virtualize systems via VirtualBox.
>> I can buy a 2-Xeon-processors system.
>>
>> My question is : can VirtualBox use REALLY the two processors ? Wil I
>> have more system resources than A single XEON processor ?
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated
>>
>> BR
>>
> Answer: Yes.
> Make sure the selected CPU has Intel VT support. (Read: hardware
> virtualization).
>
> As for single socket Xeon 35xx vs dual socket Xeon 55xx/56xx, it greatly
> depends on the number of VM's you use and if you plan to deploy VM's
> with more than one VCPU.
>
> Keep in mind that not only a single socket machine is limited to 6
> cores / 12 threads (if you opt to Core7 extreme) compared to 12 cores /
> 24 threads (Xeon 56xx), it is also severely limited when it comes to the
> amount of memory you put on the machine (Usually 8-16GB vs 72-144GB) a
> key factor when you start loading multiple VMs on a single machine.
>
> Can you post some additional information about your setup?
> E.g. How many VM's you want to deploy for what end, which OS you plan to
> use on the host and on the VM's, etc.

Just one additional comment regarding Intel VT (or AMD_V) is that your
system must be able to enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS. It is
certainly possible to have a CPU that does have virtualization support
but the motherbord chipset does not support it. Most desktop systems are
ok, but I've seen many laptops with CPUs that support virtualization,
but you could not enable it in the BIOS. Virtualbox will work with or
without VT support, but you cannot run a 64-bit GuestOS under Virtualbox
without VT enabled.

Additionally, Virtualbox allows you to assign 1 or more CPUs to a
virtual machine.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix