Re: Can't connect DD-WRT Router to Comcast

On Monday, 13 September, 2010 @17:46 zulu, Jim scribed:

> I checked in FC13 for the mac address for eth0 and physically
> entered it in the router clone mac # .

I usually just use the 'Get Current' button if connected
to the router with the same computer. That often works
better than manually transcribing. Still, the MAC filter
*should* reset if you just unplug the modem for a half
hour or so. Then it would have the router's MAC stored,
assuming you disable the MAC Address Clone setting.
That's also assuming comcast's techs are lying to you
when they claim the computer's NIC's MAC isn't stored.

On the Basic Setup tab, is the "Assign WAN Port to
Switch" option unchecked? If that's checked I don't
think it will ask for an address.

To trouble shoot it, you could install Wireshark,
then connect your 2nd router in between the modem
and 1st router, using only LAN ports (i.e. LAN1 to
modem, LAN2 to router1, LAN3 to your computer
with a static IP, and LAN DHCP disabled on router2)
so you can watch the broadcast traffic.
Start Wireshark (whoever builds the RPMs puts it in
Applications->Internet instead of in System Tools),
on its menu use Capture->Interfaces and click Start
on your eth0 adapter; When you power up router1,
after about 20-30 seconds you should see it send a
BOOTP request to 255.255.255.255, then see the
reply from the modem. With a hub you could watch
all the traffic, but it's hard to find a real hub anymore,
expecially 100Mb, so all you *should* see are the broadcasts.