Re: yumex error; need f11 files for f12

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 03:01:25 +0000, g wrote:

> while trying to update f12 using yumex 2.9.7, i am getting error messages
> that i need f11 packages for dependency.

The error message tells you that a f11 package _is_ installed already.
The full output of "yum -v repolist ; yum -y update" might give a clue,
too.

> i have gone thru complete lists of update packages checking 'dependency'
> lines when these messages show up and i see nothing requiring packages
> from f11.

rpm -qa qt\*
yum list qt\*

What do you get for those commands?

> i am using fedora 'everything' and 'updates' only. i do not have 'testing'
> or 'rawhide' repos enabled.
>
> error message is;
>
> +++
>
> 03:47:42 : ERROR: Error in yum Transaction : \
>   [u'ERROR with rpm_check_debug vs depsolve:', \
>   'qt = 1:4.5.0-14.fc11 is needed by (installed)
> qt-mysql-1:4.5.0-14.fc11.i586', \
>   u'Please report this error at http://yum.baseurl.org/report']
>
> +++
>
> when i get this error, none of the updates are installed.

According to the error message, qt-mysql-4.5.0-14.fc11.i586 (with Epoch 1)
is what is installed already, and it cannot be updated to a newer "qt"
(e.g. the 4.6.x version from F12 Updates), because the corresponding
qt-mysql update is not seen. Hence the old qt-mysql blocks the new qt
from replacing the old qt.

> google for 'please report' line shows nothing to cure or help.

In my opinion, the "Please report..." in that error message is misleading.
It somehow assumes that the problem _might_ be a bug in Yum instead of
a problem in the repositories or in the packages. But it's more likely
a problem with your Yum repository configuration or your installation
(e.g. duplicates: 'package-cleanup --cleandupes' would help with those).