Re: Agonizingly slow SATA HDD performance

On 09/13/2010 12:12 AM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> I have a new F12 system that is experiencing *agonizingly slow* SATA HDD
> performance, and I
>     can't figure out why.  No errors messages at all, just *really slow*.

Sounds like a bad disk to me. Run some diagnostic with smartctl (from
the smartmontools package). What does 'smartctl -H /dev/sda' return ?
(replace sda by your disk name if it's different).

What's the content of the error log ? (smartctl -l error /dev/sda) A
non-empty error log is a good sign the disk is on the down curve.

Next, run a quick self test (smartctl -t short /dev/sda), wait 2 minutes
then check the result with "smartctl -l selftest".

If that succeeds, run a long test (smart -t long /dev/sda), which takes
about 2 hours.