Re: Preupgrade doesn't work

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 4:09 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> it is a state of flux.
> I always managed to move to next Fedora with either preupgrade or 'yum upgrade'
> methods, but other people are not always so lucky and hit an air pocket.

In my case hitting "air pockets" could mean catastrophe. I'm beginning
to grasp much better why some people advise non-geeks against using
Fedora.

> Right now there is a hectic time for Fedora devs due to F14 testing, so we have
> to be patient with fixes to prior versions.

Yes, next December, F14 will be out, so I suppose it would be a nice
time to upgrade to F13.

> To be honest I read pretty heated reports about instability of kernels etc on
> tests mailing list and people saying Fedora is moving too much stuff too fast
> to be able to digest it properly.

Yeah... kernels. Does the instability of preupgrade have anything to
do with kernels?

I'm beginning to consider alternatives. I tried CentOS' LiveCD
yesterday but it ended on a blank screen. Of course, I could get
desktop Red Hat support for only $300/year. For professional support,
it's really cheap. Do you believe they would have solutions while
they're developing RHEL 6?

Another possibility would be adopting Ubuntu LTS, 6 months after
upgrade but I make so many goods friends all over the place giving my
frank opinion that I wonder how long its security would withstand the
attacks :)

> Based on my recent observation of my F13 problems and other people's reports
> I would agree.

Maybe I didn't check closely enough before going for an upgrade... I
just thought 3 months after the release, the bugs would be ironed out.
Maybe the development of F14 began the day after the F13 release?
Which would mean we will never get a stable upgrade process?

> I mean every dev knows that even in an agreed-upon fast-moving software dev
> environment it can reach a critical point that can make people (devs and
> testers) frustrated and demoralized.

Demoralized? You've got to be kidding! You know the motto is "Have
fun!", don't you?

> I would suggest to Fedora boyz and girls to ease, smell some flowers - life is
> not about constantly running ahead, without a pause, reflection, and enjoyment.
> I hope they hear us.

Common! If Microsoft comes up with a new version of their OS every 5
years, I can't imagine the Red Hat boys not coming up with theirs
every 6 months.