Re: SELinux - a call for end-of-life.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM, JB <jb.1234abcd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> SELinux is a bad thing, concept- and design-wise.

SELinux in a Linux OS is not a general consumer grade solution. I'm
not sure it will ever be.

However, Fedora is not a general consumer grade OS, at least not for
most consumers without an in-house geek. It's a place for
experimenting, and we really don't know what good solutions for the
problems SELinux is directed at should look like, so experimenting
here is a good thing.

I, myself, am partial to a concept I call virtual sub-users, but I
have no code for that, don't even have a complete description of the
concept. It doesn't run on any available OS, including those that do
"sandboxing".

When I think of access control lists, I'm always struck with the idea
that I don't post lists around the house telling people who can use
what.

I'm also struck with the idea that I don't generally leave things
locked on the street, expecting them to remain untouched. In fact, I
generally assume that a locked car has a greater than zero probability
of becoming unlocked without the owner's authorization.

But we need to experiment a bit with different ideas about how to keep
an OS and the data it manages self-coherent and more-or-less secure
from malevolent access. So, those of us who use Fedora put up with
SELinux and either shut it off or report the access errors, or
sometimes just ignore the alerts when they aren't preventing us from
getting our work done. (I ignore too many alerts, I think.)

Joel Rees