Re: cannot erase a CD-RW

Antonio M <antonio.montagnani <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It was a long time since my last burn.....tonight I wanted to burn a
> CD-RW but I could not as I could not erase it.
> I was using K3B or Brasero, and Nautilus....I could burn a standard CD
> Running a fully updated F13 with 2.6.34.6-54.fc13.i686.PAE

Hi,
do it manually.

$ man wodim
blank=type
Not  all  drives support all blanking types. It may be necessary to use
       blank=all if a drive reports a specified command as being invalid.   If
       used  together  with  the -force flag, this option may be used to blank
       CD-RW disks that otherwise cannot be blanked. Note that you may need to
       specify  blank=all  because  some drives will not continue with certain
       types of bad CD-RW disks. Note also that wodim does  its  best  if  the
       -force  flag  is  used  but  it finally depends on the drive’s firmware
       whether the blanking operation will succeed or not.

Insert CD-RW.
Cancel any popup window.
$ su
Display mount points:
# mount
Unmount CD-RW, for example :
# umount /dev/sr0
Try first -blank=fast option
# wodim -v -blank=fast dev=/dev/sr0
If not good, see help above (man wodim).

JB