Re: upgrade gcc on fedora core 4

On 09/10/2010 01:21 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 09/09/2010 07:14 PM, JD wrote:

>>> You'll just have to build gcc from source.  While this isn't
>>> terribly hard to do, you are going to have to find a great shell
>>> user, and someone who understand make/autoconf/etc.
>>>
>>> Andrew.
>> If the new gcc source rpm is available, all the user has to do is:
>>
>> sudo yum-builddep gcc-xx.yy.xx.src.rpm
> I think trying to build from the current RPM is a really bad idea.  If
> it builds and installs it'll replace the system gcc, which you really
> don't want.  It makes far more sense to build the gcc source from
> gcc.gnu.org.
>
> Andrew.
As I said in other replies, IT IS A BAD IDEA, but wanted
to show the OP that when you run yum-builddep, it will
try to install the dependencies before you build, and in
that procesess he/she would see that yum will find other
programs/packages that depend on the existing things
that would be updated, and would show the op these
conflicts.
It is doubtful that it would work anyhow (i.e. install the
build deps), because yum will try to search the existing
Fedora release repos (i.e: FC4) , and not find the deps.

If you build it from gnu tarball, then you will not get the
fixes that go into it from the community before it is used
in a distro. But then, it might give the op what s/he wants.