Re: Reset grub?

On 09/10/2010 12:43 AM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After an update recently, I have a desktop that won't boot. After some
> investigation, grub.conf was zero length. I recreated it to the best
> of my ability, although it still doesn't boot. It now not only does
> not boot, but doesn't even provide the grub prompt, It doesn't print
> anything. It just sits there after the basic POST.
>
> I tried booting from a rescue disk, uninstalling all the installed
> kernels and reinstalling the default kernel from FC13, but it hasn't
> helped. How can I reinstall grub? Will removing the grub and grubby
> RPMs do this for me?
>
> My root partition is /dev/sda1, so the root line would be "root
> hd(0,0)", correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Boot from the rescue CD.
Let it mount your fedora.
It will be mounted as /mnt/sysimage
do the following:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install --recheck /dev/sd?

where ? is a or b or c ...etc.

If you need it to be installed on the partition
instead of e the MBR, then

grub-install --recheck /dev/sd?N
where N is the partition number, such as 1 or 2 or 3 ...etc

After it finishes, you may want to add to it the ability to boot windows.
If so, then append to it

title Windows XP Pro
         rootnoverify (hd0,0)
         chainloader +1