Re: DNS problem

Gordon Charrick <gordonmc@xxxxxxx> writes:
> The problem is that when I go to the site or refresh it, I see the
> message "Looking up www.kitco.com" in Firefox's status bar for several
> seconds before the page comes up. I don't have this problem with any
> other web pages and also don't have this problem when I use Firefox on
> Windows to go to this site.

Do you have some weird anti-scammer protection enabled in firefox?  You
might want to make sure the "Block reported attack sites" and "Block
reported web forgeries" are off (or temporarily turned off).  Both of
them Firefox to go to some external site to look up each new web server
and who knows what sort of delay that induces when those servers are
busy.

The other thing that may help is runnng your own nameserver.  Almost all
the external ones are run much worse and have sloppier code than the
current named/bind in the yum repositories.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)