GNOME Terminal alternatives?

Hi,

Some time ago I posted the message below, and still haven't been able
to find the answers to the Terminal configuration questions that I
have, and hoped someone might have some ideas. Is there an alternative
that might be better suited for what I want to do, without requiring
creating an .xtermrc from the command-line?

I'd really just like the ability to copy/paste by just highlighting,
and the ability to copy to/from a VM. Ideas great appreciated.

- How can I disable the automatic conversion of email address and URLs
to hyperlinks?

- How can I make the mouse scroll wheel be used for scrolling back
through the terminal buffer, rather than acting as an up arrow?

- How can I change the terminal bell sound?

- How can I configure the terminal so copy is performed by simply
highlighting the text with the mouse, and paste is done through
shift-insert? I understand the default is to press the mouse scroll
wheel, but I would prefer the method I've described, and the scroll
wheel on my mouse apparently doesn't always properly work -- sometimes
it simply does not paste, and I have to do it a few times. I don't
understand why, because it's a brand new mouse (MS Wireless 5000).

- I found a link to copy and paste between a terminal and Windows
running in a VM, but isn't there a better way than installing and
running a separate program on both Windows and Linux for this purpose?
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/copy-and-paste-between-vm-and-host

Ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex