Re: Changing permissions to LVM block device using udev rules

 On 09/02/2010 10:41 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> 2010/9/1 Roberto Fichera <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>  Hi All in the list,
>>
>> I'm just fighting with udev rules in a F13 environment about setting
>> permissions (group, owner and mode) to certain block devices created
>> from a LVM storage so that they become persistent across reboots.
>>
>> Does anyone give me some hints.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Roberto Fichera.
> Are you facing some particular problem with it?

It seems that any rule doesn't work.

> For common theory of udev rules I found this page (first google
> result, by the way) very usuful:
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Yes! It know this page, but also there is the file

/usr/share/doc/device-mapper-1.02.44/12-dm-permissions.rules

that should cover such requirement once copied in /etc/udev/rules.d.

I mean, I copied and changed it to cover my requirements, but nothing happen,
the allocated LVM block device still owned by root:disk. Furthermore I forgot
to say that the users that should own their LVM partition are NIS users, so may be
that the above rules wouldn't work because it will be triggered too early. Dunno!