Re: OT ? I'm about this close to buying an iPad...

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 15:12:05 -0400
Paul Cartwright <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu September 2 2010, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> > Might I recommend:
> > http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_101it/index.html?country=us&lang=e
> >
> > It's coming out in October, but it's a 10.1" Android tablet for $300
> > USD. Seems like it might fit the bill.
>
> Might I also throw in:
> http://www.devicemag.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-launch-date-is-in-october-price-to-be-announced-soon/
>
> Samsung Galaxy Tab Launch Date is in October, Price to Be Announced Soon
> According to company reps, the Galaxy Tab is an “operator-friendly alternative
> to iPad”.

"Operator friendly" in telcospeak is not normally "user friendly". It
generally means things like "can be locked to one telco", "software is not
replaceable", "contains DRM", "can lock the home page to .." and the
like and (cynical hat on) "no wireless" is also regarded by some telco
folks as an important feature 8)

I've no idea what the Galaxy will look like, but the words 'operator
friendly' can mean some very different things depending which market they
addressed the comment at.

Alan