Re: erlang-doc - dubious dependencies

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:19:39 -0400, Mike wrote:

> Hi there.  Recently I was at a meeting where erlang came up in the
> conversation.  Curious about the language I decided to install the
> documentation using: yum install derlang-doc
>
> Yum proceeded to install 59 packages, erlang-doc and 58 others.
>
> I just wanted to look at the documentation, it seems strange that the docs
> should depend on the packages they are documenting.
>
> rpm -q --filesbypkg erlang-doc shows that all of the files are in
> /usr/share/doc

File a bug report -> http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/erlang

erlang-doc contains a dependency on the base "erlang" package,
which is highly questionable for Documentation packages.

Possibly the packager "blindly" followed
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Requiring_Base_Package
or was asked to do that during review. Some packagers insist on keeping
such a dubious dependency (and sometimes want to add deps on even further
packages, such as -devel packages), if the -doc package contains examples
as source code.