Re: OT ? I'm about this close to buying an iPad...

On 09/02/2010 11:06 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Hi people.
>
> I need to vent... I'm getting frustrated with Linux.  Well, not Linux
> per se, and not Fedora, but the whole experience part of things.
>
> I desperately need to do something about the audio system in my car.
> Its got a head unit that doesn't have an aux in, nor does it support
> mp3s, etc.  It needs to be replaced ASAP.
>
> I also need navigation, desperately.

The iPad is definitely a pretty slick product, as long as you are happy
with the way it does things. If you don't like it, you're out of luck.
You can't fix it.

For example: The ONLY out-of-the-box way to import photos to an iPad is
through a connected PC (Windows or Mac, not Linux) running iTunes.

You can buy an app to transfer photos from another computer over wifi -
it runs a web server on the ipad and you upload photos from the other
computer through a browser. It's fairly painful, though. Not elegant.

If you tried something like plugging the ipad's usb cable into a linux
computer, and dragging photos onto the ipad's filesystem, the photos do
get copied, but the ipad won't recognize them!

Anyway... Apple locks down the iPad pretty tight, which makes for a
robust but very inflexible system. Beware. If you like the freedom of
Linux, you may chafe at the restrictions in the iPad.

- Mike