Re: SELinux

On 08/31/2010 06:27 PM, James Mckenzie wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius<rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Sent: Aug 31, 2010 8:43 AM
>> To: users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: SELinux
>>
>> On 08/31/2010 05:32 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>>> If you read email you need selinux. If you read email with a client that
>>> fires up plugins to read special content (e.g. html, pdfs, flash) then you
>>> really need selinux.
>>>
>>> If you use a web browser to view more than a short list of trusted sites,
>>> you need selinux.
>>>
>>> If you run network services accessible from outside the machine then you
>>> need selinux.
>>>
>>> If you run binaries from semitrusted groups (this includes most commercial
>>> software) then you need selinux.
>>
>> You don't _need_ SELinux in any such cases.
>
> I disagree, but that is just my nature.
I guess you were a helmet and a bullet-proof vest?

SCNR.

>  If you wander off onto a malware site, you really need SeLinux in that case.
Well, I guess you know that SELinux is only available on Fedora?
(Yes it's in other distros kernel's, too, but I am not aware about any
other major distro shipping a preconfigured rule-set)

>> SELinux is aiming at catching malfunctioning/misbehaving programs and
>> _may_ prevent damage in use-cases such as those you list.
>>
>> However, SELinux also causes mal-functions and prevents applications
>>from operating properly. Semi-educated tweaking SELinux may even cause
>> further damage up to rendering systems completely unusable.
>>
>> To me this means: If the defaults work, use it. If it doesn't, switch it
>> off, otherwise you might easily shoot yourself into the foot.
>>
> If you don't know what you are doing with SeLinux it is very easy to misconfigure it and lock up a system.
That's what I had wanted to express.

> If you don't know what you are doing, now is the time to ask for help, not trapse off and try it on your own.
Well, my view is a bit different: SELinux in it's current shape on
Fedora is not end-user suitable.

This is not a problem for professional sys-admins, but it is a problem
for "home users" and "occasional users".

Ralf