Re: SELinux

Takehiko Abe <keke@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Sent: Aug 31, 2010 8:14 AM
>To: Community support for Fedora users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: SELinux
>
>;;; sorry other one goes straight to you
>
> > Linus is not exactly famous for his ability to understand security
> > concepts. I find the fact your argument is produced by google and
> > cut/paste rather than technical material ... enlightening
>
>Well, please educate me. All I hear from advocates is "more security"
>without a concrete example. You mentioned the danger of emails get
>stolen without SELinux. Please give me the scenario. So we can gauge
>the risk.

Simple, I sniff the net at the local Internet cafe.  I capture your login/password.  I login to your mail account and run a delete.  Mail gone.  Simple scenario.  I can also break into your machine and do the same.  SeLinux and other security software attempts to prevent this.

Also, there are malware programs that do keylogging and password capturing. Do you want these running on your system?  They run on Linux as well as Windows (Firefox has one notable example of this and was solved by applying a patch.)

> > But hey if Linus jumped down a volcano would you follow ?
>
>Sure I will. Did he?

No.  But then again I have this thing about volcanos and jumping, it's just not me (Humor intended.)

I don't follow every word that Linus says and I don't follow every word from everyone else.  However, SeLinux has a reputation that is justly deserved.  It, like Linux, is very picky on which friends it chooses to take on.  It is very easy to make a mistake and some are just plain not recoverable from.  That is the way it was designed.

James McKenzie