Re: General desktop questions

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding attaching files in Thunderbird...
>
> This worked, but creating a bookmark didn't, unless I'm doing it wrong.
>
> The bookmarks to two network shares appear when in Nautilus, but not
> in Thunderbird.

No, that's consistent with what I see. The Bookmarks available off the
Places menu pad in GNOME list the temporary shares/mounts that you've
created and saved as bookmarks. These don't show up in the "Attach"
dialog within Thunderbird. If you open the bookmarks in advance, the
mount shows up in the top part of the Attach dialog. I've resigned
myself to "that's how the Nautilus developers think it should work"
purely from empirical observation.

> When in the "Attach Files" screen from within Thunderbird, I can
> browse to the share through the .gvfs directory, and click "Add" in
> the lower-left, but it appears there briefly then disappears again.
>
> What could be the cause of this?

Poor UI design?

I've never tried this myself, and don't think that was the way it was
intended to be used. Of course, they shouldn't present an "Add" option
if they're not really going to honor your request.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC