Re: Scrub free disk blocks

  On 08/28/2010 07:21 PM, James McKenzie wrote:
> JD wrote:

>>> Since you imply that they are, please identify the method of doing so, since the
>>> documentation and source only seem to scrub the file *content* and not the
>>> indirect (ie. inode) blocks at all. There's code to zero the filename, and maybe
>>> truncating the file would clear the primary inode and release the indirect
>>> blocks, but I think inode clearing is f/s dependent, not necessarily a given.
>>>
>>> I can see how the inode indirect blocks might get zeroed (on some filesystems),
>>> but I see no way to cause scrubbing with multiple random patterns.
>>>
>> The data blocks, be they direct or indirect data blocks ( an 'attribute'
>> - and I use the word
>> attribute here loosely to make a point - is only meaningful to the inode
>> layer),
>> has absolutely NOTHING to do with what the scrub program does to ALL the
>> blocks of a file.
>> So, just get off of this whole thing about direct and indirect blocks.
>> This is irrelevant to the subject of scrubbing a file.
>> Rest assured scrub will get all of a file's blocks.

>>> Having jumped all over Patrick, please point us to the filesystem or other code
>>> to scrub the inode indirect blocks.
>>>
>> As stated above.
>>
>>> Don't read this as a claim the indirect blocks need to be scrubbed, but do tell
>>> us just how that scrubbing occurs. You haven't confused indirect block
>>> (filesystem metadata) with the data blocks described by the indirect blocks,
>>> have you?
>>>

>> A filesystem's metadata are things like inodes and cylinder groups, and
>> superblocks.
>> These are NOT indirect blocks. Do not confuse filesystem metadata with a
>> file's
>> data.
>> When a file is deleted, then the inode for that file is returned to the
>> free list.
>> That inode does not have a file's content. Only info about that file,
>> such as
>> owner, permissions, ..  and the addresses of the blocks holding the data of
>> that file.
>>

> If a file is moved to the trash, then the inode is retained, but the
> file is now linked to the trash directory.  When it is removed from the
> trash and thrown away, the file is delinked.  Correct.  What does scrub
> do when run with the -X parameter? Does it do a series of overwrites and
> then move to the next data node in the free list?
>
> If it does that, then you are 99% assured that the data cannot be read
> by 'ordinary' means.  However, I would never give a drive, that has been
> 'erased' to anyone I would not trust.  That's just me.
>
> James McKenzie

Well, that's the point another op has made: If you have
a failing disk, and you have credit card account data,
bank account data, tax data, and many other type of
proprietary product secrets, business plans, meetings records...etc,
then you should consider destroying the disk utterly and
thoroughly instead of sending it in for RMA.

But what about the need to recover the data from such a disk?
THAT's when you will DEFINITELY and MOST CERTAINLY compromise
that data when you send the disk to a data recovery company.