Re: gnome/metacity preferences

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:44:07 -0700, Paolo wrote:

> On 08/26/2010 12:24 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> > What happened to what used to be under System ->  Preferences ->  Windows?
> > Documented here:
> >
> > http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/2.27/prefs-windows.html.en
> >
> > I want to be able to set it so that windows automatically focus when the
> > mouse enters them, but under F13 I cannot find this setting anywhere.
> > I've got two F13 laptops, one was upgraded from older versions, the
> > other had a fresh install. One of them works the way I want, the fresh
> > install one doesn't, which means there has to be some preference
> > somewhere in my home directory that controls this, so I'm hoping
> > somebody can point me to the menu I can't find, a config file that I can
> > edit, or a package I am missing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Greg
> >

> check and see if you have the control-center-extra package installed.  I
> had this problem on F12 and tthe solution was to install the
> control-center-extra package.
>
> Paolo

That was only a temporary package. It had reappeared and has been dropped
in F14. Currently, "control-center" Obsoletes "control-center-extra".

My lazy work-around is to configure Metacity directly via GConf:

$ gconftool-2 --set -t bool /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise true
$ gconftool-2 --set -t int /apps/metacity/general/auto_raise_delay 700
$ gconftool-2 --set -t string /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode mouse