Re: Fedora Notifications System.

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I want to know about Fedora announcements I can use the mailing list.
> If I want to track Fedora goings on I can use RSS/ATOM feeds.
> I imagine the Fedora powers that be can also set up a twitter account.

I think that in this context, there should be fewer, not more sources
for the information - perhaps an RSS feed that mirrors an announcement
list, and a twitter rebroadcast of the same.

But I think highly specialized clients for ingesting this information
is a good idea, so long as they're opt-in.  If they are hard-wired to
look at the correct feed, then it provides a real service to
interested users, because it helps them to find the good source of
information and presents it to them in a convenient way.

I also think a "notification-client" project would be well served by
identifying in writing how it works and what features it contains.
Examples:

* The user can set a threshold to receive fewer or more notifications.
* Clicking on a notification takes the user to a web page with more information.
* Notifications stay on the screen until the user clicks on them.
* There is a configuration directory similar to yum.repos.d that
manages the feeds the user is interested in.

There are plenty of people who do not want such a notification system
for very valid reasons.  That doesn't mean its not a worthwhile idea
that others would want to use.