Re: Should reverse zones be mirrored?

Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
>>> Can a reverse zone be hosted on a different location/IP?
>>
>> yes.
>>
>>> My master bind server is outside the network; on the other side of the
>>> world. Should I host the reverse zone there?
>>
>> yes.
>
> Care to post any examples? ;)

Why not.  Just create a zone file with the host addresses, and a

--------------
named.conf section on master:
--------------

zone "0.0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "master/inaddr-arpa.zone";
};

--------------
named.conf section on slave:
--------------

zone "0.0.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type slave;
	masters { 10.0.0.1; };    ; put the IP address of your master here
	file "slave/inaddr-arpa.zone";
};

--------------
zone file inadd-arpa.zone:
--------------

$TTL    1h			; default TTL of existant entries

@               IN      SOA     ns.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. (
                2010082300      ; Serial Number
                1h              ; secondary refresh     -  1 hour
                15m             ; secondary retry       - 15 min
                28d             ; secondary expire      - 28 days
                3h              ; TTL of negative cache
                )
                IN      NS      ns.example.com.
	        IN      NS      server.example.org.
;;
1               IN      PTR     arbol.example.com.
;; 2 spare
;; 3 spare
4               IN      PTR     poblano.example.com.
5               IN      PTR     capsicum.example.com.

Obviously the 10.x.x.x is an example address.  I've learned the hard way
never to give live examples.  Someone invariably cuts-and-pastes it into
somewhere that eventually comes back to haunt me.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht      http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/      (IPv6-only)