Re: Upgrade with little RAM

On Saturday 21 August 2010 04:02:41 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad T23 with 512MB RAM,
> which I seldom use.
> (It is kept in a holiday location.)
>
> It is currently running Fedora-10,
> which probably shows when it was last used.
> I tried installing Fedora-13 from the KDE Live CD,
> and was a bit surprised to find that
> it started up OK, but then just hung.
>
> Is this likely to be just shortage of RAM?

Possibly, but a partition full of tmp files, insufficient swap space for a
laptop, or insufficient video RAM for a window manager's activities may be
alternative difficulties.

Adding RAM is the best first laptop upgrade. For a 32-bit laptop, as close to
4 GB as is possible is my default rule. Laptops need space to suspend
operations, and so are less tolerant of inadequate swap space, which should
be twice RAM size, at least, and no less than 3 GB for a 32-bit process size.

A RAM upgrade and a quicker, bigger, hard drive may extend the machine's
practical life if you're satisfied with its video RAM performance limits.

Ken