Re: VMWare and Fedora 13

Really? Last I knew it would not even run unless it found particular raid adapters, or a fiber san connection. Must look into it again...

On 08/20/2010 11:58 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 21:24 -0400, Chris Kloiber wrote:
On 08/20/2010 12:15 AM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

Otherwise, you need to just run a Type 1 hypervisor, which leaves you
with VMware ESXi Free edition. It's limited in what it can do compared
to the full version, but it definitely works, and works well.

I haven't looked into that much, but I understand you need some serious
hardware to make ESXi boot. Much more than the typical desktop, anyway.
Have you gotten this to work on a whitebox (no raid) one random nic???

Yes I have. Compared to an older desktop computer, yes you need a little
more serious hardware. This is not a desktop hypervisor.

Ideally, you want at least 1 good quad-core processor and 4GB of RAM.
Two processors and 8GB will start to give you some real capacity. You
also really want plenty of Gig-E NICs (starting with 4), unless you can
afford 10G Ethernet - a couple of 10G NICs will hold you for a long
time. It then tends to scale up from there, but more so in terms of how
many virtual machines you can run as opposed to how fast they run.

I have a server in my church with 4GB RAM, 2 Gig-E NICs, and a single
Quad-Core CPU. I could realistically run 3 to 4 VMs of average size on
it, but would need more RAM to do anything more than that.

Ironically, on the lower end of the scale, it's possible, if you have
VMware Workstation on a decently powered desktop, to run ESXi in a VM.
Virtualizing Hypervisors is done more for training purposes than
anything else. It's not fast, but it works well enough to give you a
good idea of what a larger system would need.

Cheers,

Chris