Slow network with F13

I've got a couple of boxes connected with wire and a gigabit ethernet
switch. With F11 on the sending and receiving sides, I see a transfer
speed of ~ 40 MB/s transfering large files.  With F13 on the sending box
(same box, just new software), I get a transfer speed of ~ 23 MB/s with
the same files. The disk read speed on the F13 box looks to be ~ 75
MB/s, so it doesn't seem to be the bottleneck.

I'm not sure where to start looking. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John