Re: No keyboard or mouse under X - How to debug udev?

On 08/19/2010 08:17 AM, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Quick background:
> I have Fedora 12 installation recently transferred to new hardware
> with embedded ATI Radeon HD 4250 GPU.  The ATI/Radeon X11 driver
> didn't support the GPU and the VESA X11 driver just switched the
> monitor into power saving mode.  Upgraded just X11 (and udev and
> kernel dependencies) to versions from Fedora 13.  ATI/Radeon X11
> driver now works and my desktop is displayed but X11 finds no keyboard
> or mouse.
>
> Worked around this by adding the following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, to
> tell X11 not to rely on udev to provide keyboard and mouse details.
> Section "ServerFlags"
>
>         Option "AutoAddDevices" "off"
>
> EndSection
>

> Question:
> How do I investigate udev to see why X11 isn't getting a keyboard and mouse?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I do not think it's a good idea to mix/match Fedora 12 and Fedora 13
versions of X11, udev, and kernel dependencies.  I would suggest doing a
full upgrade to Fedora 13, if possible.

Having expressed my concern, I'd suggest looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
to see if there are any messages from X11 in regard to the mouse or
keyboard.  I'd also try booting Fedora 12 (or is it Fedora 13) in
inittab 3, and start X11 manually using startx, to see if there are any
messages printed when X11 starts/stops.  I can think of little else.

Others will be able to give better advice.  They will probably ask which
kernel dependencies were upgraded.

Perhaps, to get others to give better advice, it might be good to
explain why you need to mix/match between Fedora 12 and Fedora 13.

Again, I think it's a bad idea to mix/match things from different
versions.  I doubt if one could ask developers or post a bugzilla report
asking for help.  Personally, I wouldn't do this.