Re: Somewhat OT - can underpowered power supplies damage a system?

On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 02:38 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The heads fly in the 'ground
> effect', with contours such that the faster the disk turns, carrying
> the air
> with it, the closer to the disk the airflow pushes them, which when
> balanced
> against the ground effect, results in a very consistent head flying
> height of
> a very few microns.

(Very OT)

I used to tell my students that although advances in semiconductor
technology are impressive, if they really want to blow their minds they
should look at the mechanical engineering of disk drives, especially the
ones in laptops.

poc