From: Gavin Spurgeon [mailto:gspurgeon@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 5:33 PM
To: Community support for Fedora users
Subject: Re: forwarding Syslog messages on localhost:514

On 08/18/2010 12:48 PM, Mansuri, Wasim (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have following problem with respect to syslogd on fedora13.
>
> With the following configuration in the /etc/syslog.conf i should be able to receive all syslog messages on localhost:514 port.
>
> *.* @localhost
>
> I am not getting anything on localhost:514. However if additionally i give following in conf file.
>
> *.* @localhost
> *.* @remoteIP
>
> In the I am receiving syslog messages on remoteIP:514 server. I tried to see straces and in strace it does not show any hint about sending data to localhost:514.
>
> Is this the normal behavior of syslogd or I am missing something in configuration?

Just a very quick suggestion, did you try:-

*.* @127.0.0.1

Or try :-

*.* @<IP ADDRESS OF THE MACHINE>

I'm not saying it *will* work, but just a very quick suggestion that may
be worth trying...

You may also need to add the "-r" option to syslogd's service config file...

Again, just a thought....

- --
Gavin Spurgeon.
gspurgeon@xxxxxxxxxx
Red Hat GLS Instructor EMEA
Red Hat UK Ltd
64 Baker Street
4th Floor, London, W1U 7DF
Mob:	+44 7841 231160
Desk:	+44 0207 009 4429 (Direct)
Tel:    +44 1252 362709
Fax:    +44 1252 548116

Directors: Michael Cunningham (USA), Brendan Lane (Ireland), Matt Parson
(USA), Charlie Peters (USA)