Re: Error reading pen drive

Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Probably want just 'fdisk /dev/sdb' if you're planning to create
>> partitions and save the table - the -l switch will cause the program to
>> print the current table on sdb and exit.
>

> Not planning that but only wanted to have the pen drive work well.

It's working fine, no errors on the drive, only you destroyed the partition
table and all data. At this point I would use fdisk to create a partition (see
below), and them create a filesystem on the partition.

WHAT KIND OF PARTITION?

Typically these devices come with a FAT16 or VFAT file type. If you ever want to
use it with any MSFT OS then you should do that. Create a partition and use the
't' command to set the type, type 'c' is FAT32/LBA and is probably what you
want. Format the filesystem (/dev/sdb1 not /dev/sdb) with mkfs.vfat (for MS
compatibility) or mkfs.ext2 (Linux use). Do NOT use ext3 or any other journaling
filesystem, as it tends to shorten the life of the media.

That should get you back working.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>