Re: Sendmail on a LAN

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 17:10 -0700, JD wrote:
> On 08/17/2010 04:56 PM, Craig White wrote:

> >> I have done all that. Really. ISP (at&t) has unblocked port 25
> >> per my request. So I can indeed smtp out. But when an smtp request
> >> comes in to the router, the router seems to get confused as to the
> >> session type - and calls is an Unknown session type, and blocks
> >> the request. Router has no settings as to what session types are
> >> and what types can be blocked, and what types can be accepted.
> >> Session types are opaque to the user as far as configuration goes.
> >> There are no means to admin session types.
> >> What else can one expect from a thuggish isp?
> > ----
> > configure your router to forward inward port 25 (TCP) to your mail
> > server. Shouldn't be that hard to do.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> I have done more than that.
> For all incoming requests (ports 1-65535) are forwarded to my fedora
> machine,
> for both tcp and udp.
>
> Problem seems to be the firmware of the router (made by 2wire for at&t).
> it is absulutely the most horible router firmware I have ever used.
>
> here's an example of it's brain dead operation:
>
> src=74.125.83.47 dst=76.218.80.172 ipprot=6 sport=49645 dport=25 Unknown
> inbound session stopped
>
> And yet, it is confugured to ACCEPT smtp packets.
>
> It makes the lame excuse it does not know the inbound session?
>
> What a bunch of unmentionable stuff!!
----
I have found the 2-wire modem/routers rather helpfully painful too but
they will do what you want to do. You don't want to forward the whole
packet range - if you want to do that, you would want to set it up as a
DMZ host and that would take more than 1 public ip address. In addition,
then you have to completely worry about security on the Linux box,
something that not everyone is up to.

You should just start over and forward only the ports you want to your
internal system - i.e. port 25. The 2-wire should NOT accept smtp
packets, that is what the port forwarding is supposed to do.

There should be vast amounts of support pages for your particular 2-wire
modem/router.

I see someone flailing.

Craig

believed to be clean.