Fedora updates getting more like Windows every day

Remember the old joke GIF image, with the box which said

  you have moved your mouse
  in order for this change to be effective you must reboot your system

It's getting so keeping systems up to date with current patches is
incompatible with reasonable uptime goals. More and more upgrades
require a reboot, and even reading the CVE data behind the update it's
not always possible to tell if a fix is urgent. I'd like to encourage a
bit more detail in the info with the upgrade, and a little more thought
about what can be done to reduce reboots.

More operations are specifying maximum outage figures, running 7x24, and
running things which have long run times and bad checkpoint code.

At least two companies are done with reminding people to shut off the
desktop overnight, they are putting cloud software on desktops and using
cloud tech to offload mainframes. Not just new tech such as SETI@home
and folding use, but things like PVM. I was admin of a PVM group 21
years ago, but people are still using it.

To some extent RHEL suffers from this as well, though systems seem to
have fewer and more stable things running.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we