Re: understanding smart logs

On 08/17/2010 10:37 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi,

>> Of course. Be sure to zero out the drive if it contains
>> sensitive data or private intellectual property before
>> sending it for replacement.
>>

> I have contacted Western Digital, but I am yet to hear from them. In the
> mean time I want to minimize what ever problems I have since I have to
> run my machine with this drive until they confirm my RMA.
>
> I came across this page on the smartmontools sourceforge page,
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html
>
> Does any one think its worth a try to attempt this?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

It's probably worthwhile to try to identify the affected files and thus
get some idea of how much time you'd spend trying to correct your 70+
remaining bad sectors that way.  Hopefully you won't have any bad sectors
that can only be located by running "smartctl -t long ..." (runs for ~1
hour, finds the first error, you fix that, then repeat) or by reading
through the entire drive (takes ~3 hours for a 1TB drive -- use dd with
"conv=noerror" so that you won't have to repeat that).

                 Do NOT delete it.