Re: Router - which side of desktop?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have two desktops, in different locations.
>
> In one, I have a simple ADSL modem with a single ethernet output
> connected directly to the desktop.
> On the other side of the desktop I have a LinkSys WRT65GL (dd-wrt)
> through which all data from other laptops, etc, goes.
>
> In the second location, I have a WiFi ADSL modem
> with 4 ethernet ports as well as the WiFi antennae.
> My desktop is connected to one of the ethernet ports.
>
> Which do gurus think is the better setup?
> I prefer the first, since I have a much better idea
> what is going on.
> But as far as I can see this is an old-fashioned point of view?

Never underestimate the quality of an old-fashioned approach. :-)

I like the first setup. I actually use a slightly different one
myself.

You are right: the first desktop can see all the traffic, firewall
and log everything you want, offer "services" (such as caching
DNS service or squid-based web caching).

One good thing about having only one machine directly connected
to the net is that the interface between the machine and the modem
is your only trust boundary. I mean, routers are often insecure
and fragile, so it is a good idea to suppose they are part of the
hostile world.

As I said, I've been using this kind of setup for years:
ADSL modem (not router), a small PC with gateway functions,
including sharing the connection via wireless
(actually it is an old laptop: small power consumption,
the old battery is a small integrated UPS,...).

In my case the gateway is never turned off.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it