Re: Processor Scalability and Linux

  On 08/09/2010 01:37 PM, Michael Miles wrote:
> Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Michael Miles<mmamiga6@xxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
>>

>>> Well, 3D animation is my thing and has been since the Amiga platform.
>>> The power to render many minutes of animation and still have functional
>>> machine to do the rest of my daily activity.
>>>
>>> I use a virtual machine running windows 7 for my animation software and
>>> if I want to convert a HD movie at the same time as I do everything else
>>> it shows a definite slow down.
>>>
>> I run a 4-node rendering cluster ( dual quad-cores on each, or 32
>> cores total and 16G RAM each node).  They're headless and just have
>> minimal local disks. All nodes write via bonded 2 x 1Gb Ethernet to a
>> fileserver, but network is usually not the bottleneck. When in use,
>> CPUs are pegged for hours at a time.  Modeling is done on a quad-core
>> Windows 7 system with some relatively high-end ATI cards, but gets
>> final render in the cluster. HD conversion is a minor step since the
>> renders are done at final resolution.
>>
>> My point is that it may be more effective to separate your rendering
>> hardware. I.e., you can buy a low-end desktop with decent video cards
>> that will run your software natively *and* a separate, headless
>> compute node that does all the heavy lifting rather than try to bulk
>> up a desktop. The desktop will generally have crappy disk i/o, crappy
>> memory limits (8G is average), crappy network (wireless or GBit), and
>> your CPU will be busy drawing a pretty desktop than actually rendering
>> frames.
>>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

> I have noticed a bit of a confusing issue.
> Lightwave running under Win 7 as a virtual machine under Fedora 12 runs
> faster than a native Win 7 machine.
> Strange but true.
>
> It easily shaves off  2 - 3 minutes / frame as a virtual machine.
>

> Anyway thanks for the comments.
> Question is there a way to have all my cores assigned to one task?
> I can easily dedicate the cores to a virtual machine but in a native
> Fedora environment I was wondering if I can get all cores to work on one
> task.
>

> And one other question.
>
> What software are you using for your render cluster?
>

> Way back in the Amiga days I was using Renderman as a rendering farm and
> the Screamernet for the Video Toaster.
>
> I have been doing some experimentation with Blender and it looks very
> good but I'm still looking at Lightwave 9 as the best. It is only ported
> for Windows though making it a pain as I would like very much to use a
> native linux enviroment.
>

> It also seems that Lightwave butterfly netrender for linux is here
>
> http://www.weez.com/2010/08/linux-lightwave-render-farm-getting-bnr-butterfly-netrender-to-work-in-debian-possibly-others/
>

> We shall see!!!!

You can - but indirectly.
if the process is multithreaded and you want all the cores working on
those threads, then
when you start up the process:
sudo nice -n -10   ProcessPathName

will very likely force all threads get on-core before other threads.

Danger: There are some system processes that MIGHT get preempted by such
a low priority. Se you need to research to see at what priority (nice
level) are all the system tasks running.