Re: Processor Scalability and Linux

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Robert Myers <rbmyersusa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This is what I mean with scalability. As for the windows-apps: most of
>> them (still) cannot use all the cores and a more-than-2-cores cpu is a
>> waste-of-money in most of the time. Lets go back to linux.
>>

> Chrome uses all eight threads if I open enough tabs, but I don't use Chromium.
>
> Otherwise, more cores/threads will potentially be useful to you if
>
> 1. You are doing media processing.
>
> 2. You are a developer and know how to do things like parallel builds
> and/or write your own parallel code.
>
> 3. You are running virtual machines.
>
> The ability to use multiple cores/threads has little to do with the
> OS.  Most "ordinary" applications still don't make good use of
> multiple cores.
>
> From what you've said so far, it sounds like the number of cores you
> buy is just marketing hype as far as you should be concerned.

And, oh, by the way, you're welcome, even though you didn't bother to
thank those who tried to help you but moved right on to informing us
that the help offered wasn't useful to you.

Robert.

--
If the Ten Commandments are not obeyed, what does the keeping of the
other laws amount to other than mere jugglery and mummery, indeed, a